C O U R S E O U T L I N E
UNIT CODE: BBM 123
UNIT NAME: BUSINESS LAW
Purpose of the course
To prepare students for such aspects of law as will touch their business operations so that they can play a practical role in the field of commercial enterprise in the community and nation as a whole.
By the end of the course unit, the students should be able to:-
- Appreciate the legal context in which business law applies.
- Comprehend but simplify account of rules relating to the formation, content and enforcement of contracts.
- Illustrate how law applies to business content.
- Appreciate the significance of business law and its contribution to the development and
success of business.
INTRODUCTION TO LAW
- The meaning and nature of law
- Functions of law
- Classification of law,
sources of law
LAW OF PERSONS
- Natural persons and artificial persons
- Rights and obligations of both natural persons and artificial persons
LAW OF TORT
- Function of the law of torts
- Malice nature of tortuous liability
- The fault principal
- Distinction between tort, crime and breach of contract.
- General defenses
- Specific torts i.e. Trespass, nuisance, négligence and defamation.
CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT
- Nature of the contract of employment
- Suspension of the contract of employment
Termination of the contract of employment working time and rest,
- Types of leaves
- Equality and pay issues
- Nature of the contract
- Essentials of a valid contract classification or types of contracts
- Formation of the contract
- Contractual capacity
- Terms of contract
- Vitiating elements in a contact
- Discharge of a contract
- Remedies for a breach of contract
LAW OF AGENCY
- Definition classes of agents
- Creation of agency
- Duties of agents
- Rights of agents and principals
- Termination of agency
THE SALE OF GOOD ACT
- Contract of sale of goods
- Creation and capacity to buy and sell
form of contract
- Subject matter of the contract
Conditions and warranties
- Doctrine of caveat emptor
- Transfer of property in goods
Transfer of title in goods
- Performance of the contract
- Rights of unpaid seller
- Rights of the buyer
- Auction sale
HIRE PURCHASE LAW
- Creation of hire purchase agreement
- Formalities of hire purchase
- Protection of the tenure
Recovery of possession by the owner
- Native and present day use
of negotiable instruments.
- Nature and present day use of negotiable instruments.
- Essential requirements for validity bills of exchange negotiation and endorsement holder in due
course liability of the parties
- Discharge of the bill
- Cheques and promissory notes